Tired? Feeling weighed down with life’s burdens?
Jesus offers us these encouraging words. “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30).
Let’s break down these few verses to find hope and help.
- First, Jesus promises us rest. Do we take a day each week to rest and get refueled? God clearly gave us the example and command to rest, creating a day faithfully set aside for Him, but which is greatly for our benefit. (Exodus 20:8-11)
- Second, let’s make sure we are carrying the load that is ours and doing the work or assignment God has specifically given us. (1 Corinthians 3:5)
- Third, are we making time regularly to learn from Jesus? Through worship, Bible reading, and prayer, we can bring our burdens to Him and receive wisdom, guidance, and instruction. (John 14:26)
- Fourth, can we break it down? The burden probably doesn’t need to be picked up all at once. Instead, focus on what needs dealt with today. (Matthew 6:34)
- Finally, as a member of the church, the body of Christ, we can look to fellow believers. Burdens are always lighter when shared. Become active in a group that prays for, helps, and encourages one another. (Galatians 6:2; James 5:16; 1 Corinthians 12:25; 1 Thessalonians 5:11)
The Message Bible translates Jesus’s words this way: “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly” (Matthew 11:28-30).