Psalm 23:4 says “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.”
For those of you in that valley right now, this is a SHOUT OUT … because I’m there too. And, this is what I know:
- I am walking. I am NOT standing still or quitting. I am making forward progress.
- I will go THROUGH this valley. I will come out on the other side. The valley will end.
- A valley is the low area between hills or mountains, which means I was on the mountain before and I will be AGAIN!
- This is NOT death. This is a shadow. A shadow may darken what I see but it only blocks part of the light. A shadow itself is harmless.
- Jesus not only conquered the shadow because He is the Light, but He decimated death. That is what we celebrate on Resurrection/Easter Sunday!
- There is evil out there. (Drrr!) BUT, our God is bigger! “If God is for us, who can be against us?” (Romans 8:31)
- I will NOT live in fear. “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” (2 Timothy 1:7) Memorize that.
- My God, the Holy Spirit, my Shepherd/Savior is with me everywhere, ALL the time, by my side.
- With His rod, I imagine my Shepherd beating the living daylights out of whatever is trying to attack or harm me. My Shepherd is all powerful and ALWAYS on guard.
- With His staff, the Shepherd gently guides and brings me back when I start to wander off.
- Oh yeah, I forgot the first two words, ‘even though’. In other words, even IF or even WHEN the worst happens, we are not alone and God has a plan.
- Finally, if you’re NOT going through a valley right now, you will or you have. Praise God for the mountains and hills for they strengthen us for the valleys. And remember, the cool, refreshing streams are found in the valleys.
See you next Wednesday with Psalm 23, verse 5.
SO good! SO encouraging!! Thank you for the very timely reminders and fresh insights.
Thank you. To God be the glory!