The English language is a curious thing. Look at the word ‘take’ for instance. We can ‘take a seat,’ ‘take a stand,’ ‘take a bow,’ ‘take a photo,’ ‘take the blame,’ and ‘take a temperature,’ but we really aren’t physically taking anything away.
So, let’s look at the word give. We can ‘give credit,’ ‘give congratulations,’ ‘give a hand,’ and ‘give respect.’ Apparently, we are a society of give and take.
As we take note of this topic, do we find Jesus giving any advice? We actually do. Jesus taught:
- “Freely you have received, freely give” (Matthew 10:8).
- “Give, and it will be given to you” (Luke 6:38).
- “Any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple” (Luke 14:33).
- “It is more blessed to give than to receive” (Acts 20:35).
Let’s look at a few things God has given us:
- He gives us our daily bread (Matthew 6:11).
- Good gifts ~ “How much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!” (Matthew 7:11).
- His Son ~ “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16).
- Eternal life ~ “I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand” (John 10:28).
God gave us the greatest gift, His Son. I pray you have received this gift that keeps giving, including eternal life.
May we give Him our best.